Podcast 209 "A Reconnected Marriage"
Tim Tedder explains the steps necessary for couples who, after an affair, want to experience intimacy and trust in their marriage again. He interviews Ryan and Jen who talk about their satisfying marriage seven years after Ryan confessed having multiple affairs. (Relationship Renewal Stage 5)
Understanding the 5 Stages of Relationship Renewal:
- Read the ebook: Affair Healing: A Recovery Guide for Couples. (Note: This ebook is offered as a free download to everyone who purchases the Recovery Manual for Betrayed Spouses.)
- Download the Jen & Ryan Interview transcript.
- Listen to the other podcasts in the Stages of Relationship Renewal series: Stage 1 (Exposure), Stages 2-3 (Reaction & Clarity), Stage 4 (Cooperation)
- Scary Close by Donald Miller
Miller writes in an easy to read style with content that is thoughtful and inspiring. In this book, he writes about authenticity and vulnerability and how they impact our relational experiences. I especially recommend this to men.
- The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown
A great book to help with understanding the need for vulnerability in order to live whole-heartedly and experience satisfying relationships. In her ten guideposts, Brown draws from her research to explore how we can cultivate the courage, compassion, and connection to think, "...I am imperfect and vulnerable, but that doesn't change the truth that I am worthy of love and belonging."
- Loveable by Kelly Flanagan
Flanagan is a psychologist, father, and blogger who writes in an insightful and poetic style. In this book, he answers three fundamental human questions: Am I enough? How do I become unlonely? Do I matter? He shows us how to rediscover our worthiness and remember that we are good enough.
- The Seven Principles for Making Marriage Work by John Gottman
Gottman debunks many myths about divorce and reveals surprising facts about couples who stay together. Through a series of in-depth quizzes, checklists, and exercises, Gottman provides the framework for coping with differences and strengthening your marriage. His profiles of troubled couples rescued from the brink of divorce and those of still-happy couples who reinvigorate their relationships are equally enlightening. This is a great resource for couples who are motivated to strengthen their marriage.
- His Needs, Her Needs: Building an Affair-Proof Marriage by Willard Harley
Marriage works only when each spouse takes the time to consider the other's needs and strives to meet them. This book identifies the ten most vital needs of men and women and shows husbands and wives how to satisfy those needs in their spouses.