Retreat Questions & Answers
How much do these retreat session cost?
- 3-Day Retreat: Retreat sessions are held at our Winter Park, Florida facilities at a cost of $2850 per couple for a 3-Day Retreat.
- Series of 1-Day Retreats: Couples within driving distance to our office may opt for a series of extended 1-Day Retreat sessions (usually 4-6 hours each day, scheduled any day Tuesday through Saturday) usually separated by 1-2 weeks between each scheduled day. These sessions are provided at a rate of $150 per session-hour.
What does that include?
- The 3-Day Retreat includes: retreat preparation assessments and materials; 16 retreat session hours; recovery plan and follow-up resources; 2 follow-up sessions (phone/Skype)
- The series of 1-Day Retreats include: retreat preparation assessments and materials; 12-18 retreat session hours, depending on need; assigned exercises & resources to be used between retreat days.
How are "retreat session hours" determined?
Any active session, regardless of how many counselors or clients are participating in that session, is included in the retreat hours total. Examples:
- If two therapists are sitting in on a one-hour session with both partners together, it would count as 1 retreat session hour.
- If an hour is spent with two therapists leading two separate sessions (each with one of the partners), then that would count as 2 retreat session hours. Retreats are a mix of joint and individual sessions and sometimes more than one therapist is involved.
What will be our focus during the retreat?
Because each retreat is customized to fit the needs of the couple, no two retreats are exactly the same. However, the general focus of a retreat will depend on whether both partners are "leaning into" the marriage (both committed to working toward renewed intimacy and trust) or if at least one partner is "leaning out" of the marriage (not certain whether or not they want to stay with their spouse).
- If both partners are "leaning in," then the focus of the retreat is on dealing with unresolved affair issues and defining changes and strategies necessary for building a new marriage.
- If at least one partner is "leaning out," the the focus is on repairing wounds caused by the affair, defining each partner's decision regarding their future, enhancing each person's recognition for personal change, and establishing strategies toward moving forward in healthy ways. Some couples will clarify their clear intent to stay together and learn how to start the work of marriage renewal. For others, the focus will shift to ending a marriage in ways that protect from ongoing damage and encourage mutual cooperation.
What about travel & accommodations?
What's the typical 3-Day Retreat schedule like?
- 1st Day: 3:00 - 7:00 PM
- 2nd Day: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM (1 hr lunch break)
- 3rd Day: 9:00 AM - 1:00 PM
- Schedules can sometimes be adjusted to accommodate your scheduling need. Also, if multiple counselors are involved, more hours can be fit into less time on a particular day.
I'm interested in scheduling a Couples Retreat. What do I do?
As long as both partners are willing to attend and participate, each should fill out an application. (See link at bottom of the page.) There is no application fee. Once both application forms have been submitted, Tim Tedder will review them and then get back to you regarding his recommendations (usually within 1-2 days) as well as what upcoming dates are available. Your retreat will be considered confirmed once the deposit is received.
How much is the deposit? Is it refundable?
We request a deposit of $900 to schedule your 3-Day retreat or $300 deposit for the first 1-Day retreat.
- Refunds for 3-Day Retreats: The deposit will be completely refunded if cancelled or rescheduled more than 4 weeks prior to the originally scheduled start date; 50% refunded 1-4 weeks prior to the start date; and no refunds with less than 1-week notification. [If your application has been accepted, you may pay your 3-Day Retreat Deposit here.]
- Refunds for 1-Day Retreats: The deposit will be completely refunded if cancelled or rescheduled more than 1 week prior to the originally scheduled start date; 50% refunded if less than 1 week prior to the start date; and no refunds with notifications less than 48-hours from the scheduled start of your retreat. [If your application has been accepted, you may pay your 1-Day Retreat Deposit here.]
Do you accept insurance?
We do not bill insurance, but we can issue you an insurance receipt from Tim Tedder, a licensed counselor. You would need to check with your insurance company to see how they would handle reimbursement for out-of-network counseling.
Are the other counselors, Sharon and Jennifer, also involved in the retreats?
Sometimes, depending on the issues being addressed as well as their availability. If either is involved in individual sessions to address specific issues, those sessions will be considered as retreat hours. If you want to guarantee either's participation in the retreat, be sure to write your request on the application, but be aware that it may limit what retreat dates will be available for all counselors. [See more info about our retreat counselors.]
What if we want extra hours?
Extra hours, if requested, will be billed at the therapist's normal hourly rate.
What about accommodations for meals and sleep?
You are responsible to make your own hotel arrangements for one of the many establishments close to our office (Winter Park, 32789). Currents Counseling will provide you with information regarding restaurants near our facility. Many options are available to fit your budget.